Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fall Is In The Air!

The leaves on the walnut tree are turning yellow and falling on the lawn. The pool has been closed up for another season. And the pitter-patter of medium-sized feet is silenced because the kids have returned to school.

Fall is definitely in the air!

Even the dog can sense it. The house is so quiet he has slept for three hours straight. He hasn't had that much peace since May.

It always takes me awhile to get used to the silence after having the kids home all summer. It is strange to be able to leave my office door open again since I don't have to compete with the sounds of video games, phone conversations or the occasional disagreement between siblings.

Most people look at January as a new beginning. September is like that for me. Now is the time to tackle new projects before the holidays or do that task I have been putting off with the children under foot.

This year also marks a new beginning in the sense that I need to decide what the next step will be for me. Because the job market leaves much to be desired, I need to make a decision whether or not to keep looking or return to school for that master's degree I have always wanted to earn.

But like summer, fall's beauty is fleeting. I need to make sure I take the time to enjoy the beautiful leaves, the warm autumn days and the cool nights. Of course, this must be done in between running kids to ballet, scouts and music lessons since all of these activities have also begun.

Maybe I will find a pile of leaves and jump in them, or locate a pumpkin patch to sit in. Of course, a forty-something woman doing these things will certainly garner some looks and possible questions of her sanity.

Guess I'll just take some walks with the dog and enjoy the weather. At least then no farmers will call the police about some weird woman sitting in the middle of their pumpkin field.

No comments: