Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Healing Power of Water

I walk my dog, Chloe, almost every morning.  The morning air is a wonderful way to clear your head and sharpen your senses early in the day.

One of our favorite routes takes us past the Shiawasee River.  Not only is it enjoyable to watch the seasons change along the riverbank and look for the neighborhood geese that call it home, but there is something restorative about the sound of water.

Nearly every morning, we stop for at least a few moments and enjoy the seasons along the river banks.  We listen to the sound of the water rushing under the bridge, or marvel at how beautiful the trees look covered in fresh snow. We anticipate the buds on the trees and the sprouting plants in the spring, or watch as the colors emerge in the cool fall weather. We breathe in the air and take a moment just to be. Rather, I breathe in the air.  Chloe munches on the grass.

If you allow it, the sound of the water flowing by can take your worries and cares with it, even if it is just for a moment.  No matter how busy the day ahead, I always allow a few moment for the water to wash all the stress from my life before heading back home to face the day.

At home I have two ornamental ponds, one in the front and one in the back of my house, that I try to spend a few moments enjoying every day during warm weather.  I have two small tabletop fountains inside my house that run every day.  Obviously I have a lot of stress in my life.

There is a reason that, throughout history, settlements have always sprung up around water.  It is essential for life, but also restorative for the soul.

So the next time you find yourself overwhelmed with work deadlines, family obligations and the day to day annoyances of life, seek out the sound of running water.  You will be surprised at what it can wash away.

No comments: